What to Do Before an Earthquake
Awareness Generation Resources for Earthquake Diasaster Management
- Repair deep plaster cracks in ceilings and foundations. Get expert advice if there are signs of structural defects.
- Anchor overhead lighting fixtures to the ceiling.
- Follow BIS codes relevant to your area for building standards
- Fasten shelves securely to walls.
- Place large or heavy objects on lower shelves.
- Store breakable items such as bottled foods, glass, and china in low, closed cabinets with latches.
- Hang heavy items such as pictures and mirrors away from beds, settees, and anywhere that people sit.
- Brace overhead light and fan fixtures.
- Know emergency telephone numbers (such as those of doctors, hospitals, the police, etc)
- Educate yourself and family members